9/16/2007

Puppies and kitties and stuff, oh my!

Yesterday was a kick-ass day at the shelter. For those of you unawares, I volunteer 3-4 days a week at the Humans Society of the Lakes animal shelter just north of Detroit Lakes. Now, I know there are those of you out there who are probably of the opinion that shelter dogs are not as good as pure breeds, and I could go off for several pages about the shelter in Brooklyn that has to euthanize 30 dogs every day and puppy mills and inbreeding and the like, but I'm not going to do it. Really. And while I do understand wanting a certain kind of dog, the fact is, you can probably find that kind of dog in a shelter. A couple of weeks ago we had a Welsh Terrier that had papers and everything. His owner had to move and couldn't take him along, so she asked us to help him find a good home. Which we totally did.

This job has probably done more for my mental health in the last six months than all of the medication, therapy and group meetings put together. I could go off for pages about the warm, fuzzy feeling I get from helping a family find just the right pet, but I'm not going to do it. Really. Suffice to say all the sappy Hallmark cards in the universe couldn't come close. And if you want a little bit of that feeling, (here comes the sales pitch) you can donate time, or money, or even just old blankets to your local shelter. The Humane Society of the US and the ASPCA would be good places to start. Thank you for letting me preach at you.

1 spewed back:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Keara!!! I whole-heartedly agree about adopting animals from shelters. We've had Phoebe for 8 years next month and we adopted her from Animal Control in Kalamazoo, MI when we lived there. She is the best dog I've ever known (and I've known a lot of dogs!). People always ask us what kind of dog she is and we always say, "She's the best kind - a mutt!" Honestly, I don't care what kind of dog she is except that she is a good, loyal, friendly dog!! Cheers to you! Keep up the great work!!!