10/13/2007

Things that irk me number...whatever.

Those of you who have known me for a while know that I tend to get up-in-arms about many different things. Sometimes several things at once. However, this usually leads to me ranting for a few seconds and then moving on to the next thing that pisses me off. Well, I have one I need to vent about in a public forum, so here goes.

I was watching Nickelodeon this morning (yes, it was a Fairly Odd Parents-athon) and I saw a commercial that raised my hackles. It was a commercial for the Dream Town Rose Petal Cottage by Playskool. It is a play house with a washer, dryer, furniture, etc. Now, I know there are lots of kitchen play sets and the like out there for kids. What struck me about this particular commercial was some of the wording. If you'd like to hear for yourself just click "Watch it" on the link above. A couple that stood out in particular:
  • "...where her dreams have room to grow..." - Honestly, is this what parents want their daughters to dream about? Baking muffins and rearranging furniture?
  • "...entertain her imagination..." - With what? Laundry?
I'm no femi-nazi, I have no problem with guys squishing bugs and such, provided that women at least know how. But, come on. I thought we were past the time when girls only dreamed of having babies and baking cupcakes. What about building bridges or curing cancer? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with having babies and baking cupcakes. Far from it. But is this the message we want to send to little girls? That their only purpose in life it to keep house?

Am I overreacting? Absolutely. As is my right and tendency. If I don't who will? OK, that's a bit grandiose, but you get the drift.

Completely changing the subject, go Gophers! TTFN!!

3 spewed back:

Anonymous said...

Do you ever watch The Wonderpets? There was an episode awhile ago that really baffled me....

spock74 said...

I have never seen the Wonderpets, although if you ask Scott Solberg to sing you the theme song, he will. I'm not sure which is more disturbing, that he has memorized it, or that he admits to it.

Anonymous said...

Wonderpets is awesome... for instance yesterday they were saving a baby dolphin and the duck had the brilliant observation that 'oh no the baby dolphin is stuck and all wet!'...